3.06.2009

What's with the figs?

Here's the deal.
The literal translation of my name Beit-Ani (Hebrew) is "House- Dates" or, more conversationally, "House of Dried Figs" or, colloquially, "House of Poverty."

The idea is that one would go to Beit-Ani when in need and
could expect to be given adequate sustinance.
No luxuries, no rich banquets or lavish parties in Beit-Ani.
Rather, it is a haven for those who have been reduced to minimal living.

In Christian mythology, Yehoshua and his followers were hungry upon reaching
Beit-Ani and, seeing a fig tree with many leaves,
decided to indulge in a fresh meal of sweet fruit.
Upon discovering that the leafy tree bore no fruit
(because it was not the season for figs),
Yehoshua cursed it and, by the next morning, its roots had withered.

Christian scholars have interpreted this story many different ways
(it's the fate of Isreal, it's the rebirth of Isreal, it's a demonstration of omnipotence, etc.)
but I feel entitled to my own unscholarly interpretation, seeing as how it's my name and all.

For me, the point of the story lies in one often ignored phrase,
"it was not the season of figs."

Why do we reach into the leaves prematurely and expect treasure?
What sense does it make to curse the natural order of growth and rest?
I was productive in this time, but not in that time.
I bore excellent fruit in this context and have turned inward for renewal in that context.

Dried figs are evidence of someone who understands preparing for leaner times to come.
Someone who accepts that there are seasons of no fresh fruit yet makes plans
for nourishment in advance and has an abundance to share with those who
didn't see the seasons change in time.

I believe that I have a great deal to offer in the way of sustinence to those in need.
My ear is full of the secrets of strangers and friends, my heart is a safe vault for painful stories.
They come to me in need- sometimes they need to be needed, to feel powerful and kind.
Sometimes they need to feel loved regardless of their cruelty.
Mostly, they need to be seen and heard.
They need a witness.

I think it's important to note that my house is not the house of figs (bethphage)
but the house of dried figs.
What I offer is not fresh but it is lasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment